The proven industry standard
The Direct Metal process builds up fully dense, chemically pure metal parts from 3D CAD data by melting fine powder with a laser beam, layer by layer. With layer sizes ranging from 5–30 microns, there are no limitations to part complexity. The 3D Systems line of Direct Metal production 3D printers supports particle sizes as low as 5 microns, resulting in better part accuracy, surface finish and feature detail resolution.
Direct Metal Printing uses additive manufacturing technology. In the machine, a high-precision laser is directed to metal powder particles in order to selectively build up thin subsequent horizontal metal layers. The metal powder particles pinpointed by the laser quickly and fully melt so that the new material properly attaches to the previous layer, without glue or binder liquid.
Benefits of Direct Metal Printing (DMP) 3D printers:
- Exceptional surface finish and resolution
- Minimal waste of materials
- Able to produce parts not normally manufacturable using traditional methods
- Fast production times
- Very dense, non-porous parts
- Consistently high accuracy parts even on first-time builds